Garage storage solutions usually come packaged in some pretty plain colors. I mean, everyone gets it that shelves are a good idea; but that's so drab. Everyone also gets it that cabinets are good - can someone please pass me the Nodoz. I am not suggesting that shelves and cabinets don't have a place in solving your storage problems. I am just saying that we can all go beyond these basics. Let's take a look at some creative ways to store things in your garage that go beyond shelves and cabinets.
One of the coolest creative garage storage solutions I have seen utilizes the space overhead. If you think about it, we all tend to use floor space without a second thought. We even lift things up just a bit when we start setting things on a bench or on a shelf. Those things help, but it's time to think just a bit higher. There is space above to spare. How about overhead storage racks that attach right to the rafters of your garage? Have you seen these things? You simply screw some tracks into the wooden rafters above and slide on some plastic bins. Viola! There you have it, an overhead storage solution for your garage. This allows you to put all those things up out of the way that are hardly ever accessed. Things like holiday decorations, lights and such.
One of the on going problems with not implementing the right garage storage solutions is that when things get cluttered along the outside edge of the garage, there is absolutely no place to store things that really need storing. It is obvious that you should get rid of the things that you never use or access. Be gone with such rabble. Once this is done you are in a position to truly appreciate and utilize the next several creative garage storage solutions, i.e., bins and racks.
Turns out there are actually bins designed for storing sports balls, roller blades, rackets, baseball gloves, and many other things that typically get tossed on the floor or lost in a pile somewhere. Most of these are attractive powder coated metal bins that are easily adjustable for where you want to install them on the wall. Some even have integral hanging racks with different attachment point options. This is a nice feature because while one height might be good for the adults in the family, it will be completely unworkable for the shorter folks. Anytime you can get adjustable garage storage solutions, that is a good thing. The kids will thank you. And, if you think about it, it'll actually save you time and effort as well because you won't always have to be running out to the garage to hand things down to the kids when they need them.
As for racks, these are real things of beauty. Garage storage solutions have to take care of the things in life that don't stack or store away in bins easily. These are things like bikes and fishing rods and reels. Have you noticed how frustrating it is to try to lean a fishing pole against the wall? They always tip over against the ones next to it and turn into a mangled mess. Racks designed for storing fishing gear are a real life saver. Bike racks are made that allow storage against the wall, or lifted up into the space above. Whatever you do, be creative with garage storage solutions and you will be forever glad you did.
As many homeowners have realized, there are a lot of things that need to be stored outside your home. For instance, a typical home requires a lawnmower to maintain the lawn, an edge trimmer to keep things looking neat, lawn chairs and garden furniture for seating, a grill for outdoor meals, and many other items that are bulky but necessary.
Storing these items becomes a bit of a challenge for those homeowners who don't have garages. Even for those with garages, the garage space fills up quickly, leaving the cars parked in the driveway or on the road. The solution to this problem is a storage shed.
Storage Shed Options
There are choices when it comes to putting up a storage shed. Before investing in a storage shed, it's a good idea to make sure it will meet your current and future needs. Take a look at the options available for purchase before deciding on the shed for you.
- Site-Built Storage Sheds
A site-built storage shed is a shed that you build yourself on your property. The advantage to this type of shed is that you can completely customize it for your needs. However, this type of shed has many distinct disadvantages.
The disadvantages of building your own storage shed include the time, money, and work involved in creating this type of structure. Building a shed is not a weekend project and shouldn't be undertaken by the first-time do-it-yourselfer. It's often more expensive to purchase the materials and build your own shed than it is to purchase a pre-built unit.
- Pre-Built Storage Sheds
A pre-built storage shed is put together at a factory and arrives completely constructed at your doorstep. You don't need to be a carpentry expert to have one of these sheds, and you don't have to spend as much money on one of them as you would on building your own shed.
Because they are pre-built, these sheds are not fully customizable. However, there are a multitude of options available that are likely to meet the needs of any homeowner. In addition to being less expensive and less work, pre-built sheds also provide you with storage much more quickly.
Before You Buy a Storage Shed
There are several things you should consider before you invest in a storage shed. In order to end up with the right storage shed for you, you should make sure you have a clear idea of your storage needs.
To get a good idea of what size and type of storage shed you need, make a list of everything you think you may store in the building. Some common items include the following:
- Lawn chairs and other garden furniture are a popular storage item. If left outside year-round, your lawn furniture will have a much shorter lifespan. In addition, exposure to the elements will make your furniture less attractive and will contribute to peeling paint, fading, and mildew growth.
- Tools and yard equipment need a home too. Lawnmowers and other yard equipment are useful but also come with an expensive price tag. It's important to protect your investment from damage by the elements and possible theft. A storage shed is the perfect solution.
- Grills last longer when kept sheltered as well. If you want your grill to last many years, it's important to protect it from rain, snow, and harsh winds. A storage shed provides a safe, dry home for your grill, as well as a handy place for charcoal, grilling tools, and other necessary items.
Knowing what you plan to store in your new shed will help you choose the pre-built shed that is perfect for your needs!
Cary Bradshaw from "Sex and the City" had the perennial struggle to let go of her old clothes. Closets full of clothes that she may have worn just once in her life. Her predicament had made us laugh while we enjoyed "Sex and the City" on television, but there is no denying the fact that often we've glanced at our respective closets and wondered Ah there are so many clothes, but which one do I wear now.
Welcome to the world of systematic chaos, the closets of most women. How to undo the chaos while there is no stopping us from picking up the summer dress that we liked in Sears the other day or the pair of jeans with motifs?
Well, how much ever painful it may seem we will need to clear up our closets from time to time. And yes, we will have to be ruthless. Unbeknown to men, most women have an emotional attachment to their clothes. Men always fail to appreciate that! So, yes clearing up the closet would mean that we need to keep our emotions aside.
1. First, remove all that do not fit. Keep them in a separate pile.
2. Next, remove those that are not in fashion any more. Believe me they never come back to fashion in exactly the same way. There is always some tweaking that makes it new age.
3. Then browse through the ones that you have left. Do you wear all of those? If not, then why? Do you think you will go back to wearing those? Keep those in a separate pile.
4. Now try matching those clothes that you have kept in a pile before, with the ones that you wear. Can you pick up some top or trouser or skirt that may match with the ones that you wear now? Then pick those ones up.
5. Once you have your discarded pile, you know that you need to dispose those off. You may want to donate those to some charity or sell those off in yard sales or in eBay. You may also consider cutting out some pattern that you may especially like in your discarded clothes pile and use that as a patch work on your jeans, quilt or even your table cloth.
6. Next let's arrange the pile that you are going to keep. First and foremost press them all.
7. Then categorize the clothes as per office wear, party wear and casual wear. Then further divide those as per seasons winter, summer or spring.
8. Now keep the ones that are not right for the current season separately and hang those that you will be using for this season.
9. Match your accessories with your clothes and keep those arranged neatly along with your dresses.
10. Finally is there anything missing in your closet? There are few must-haves. Take a stock and see if you have that little black dress, every woman should have. A pair of black leather boots to go with everything and nice flats for the summer. A good leather jacket and skirt suit to make that presentation look even better. You must also have one summer dress, with its crochet handbag and big ear rings.
Organizing your home does not need to be difficult. You just need to get started and take that first step. One of the first things that you need to know about organizing your home is that it is as much about getting rid of the clutter taking up space in your home as it is about organizing what you have. So lets move on to step one . . .
Step 1: What do you want this room to look like?
Define what you want this room to look like. This is critical because you can't get to where you want to go unless you know what that "where" looks like. Answering the following questions will help get started in organizing your home. How do you want this room to function? How do you want to feel when you're in it? What do you want to do in this room? What do you really want to use this room for? What is its primary purpose?
Make sure that the other people who share this space with you can agree on the answers to these questions. Organizing your home is a challenge that needs to involve everyone who shares the space. You all have to live in it so agree on what that should look like. This will mean compromise and really listening to the others in your home about the concerns they have about the space.
Step 2: Go through every item in the room.
Remember when I talked about getting rid of the clutter? This is where you do it. Because organizing your home is a big project, don't feel like you need to do this all at once. Going through a drawer here and a shelf there is a great way to break down the project into more manageable pieces. But make sure that you do go through EVERY item in the room.
And there is only one of two ways the item can go: keep or get rid of. Be brutal here. Don't keep things that you know you don't want or use. Organizing your home means making sure that the things you have fit in the space you have. If it does not fit in the space you have, it needs to go.
Step 3: Make your vision a reality.
Here is where you put into action the vision of how you want the room to look that you created in step 1. Here is where organizing your home gets really fun. You get to create the perfect room. You get to make it look exactly how you want it to look.
This step involves making sure that what is left in the room are only the things that you really want in the room. Only leave in the room those items that contribute to your vision of how you want the room to look, feel like and function as. Organizing your home means that you have a place for everything. This is where you get to define that.
If there was ever a unique service provided to households, junk removal services are exactly that. These services will take your junk and will dispose of it in the proper manner so that you don't have to do it all yourself. Sometimes the junk that you have may be way beyond your handling capabilities, so you call on the junk removal service of your choice to get it done for you. When utilizing these services, you would be quite amazed at what kind of difference it makes.
How much of a difference do they make? They make quite a difference. If you are renovating your home and you have a lot of junk that is getting in your way, a junk removal service will clear out the obstacles for you. However, it is important that you choose a service that will provide you with the services that you need. This is because not one junk removal service is the same. They all get things done differently.
What does a good junk removal service do?
A good junk removal service will not waste your time, will carefully screen all of their workers to make sure your belongings will not be tampered with, they won't walk off of the job before they finish it, and the workers will have good moral character. That means they should treat you with respect when coming to haul off all of that unwanted junk.
The junk removal company should be able to take around 70% of the junk that is retrieved and recycle it. This means that not all of your junk is going to end up in a landfill somewhere where it can hurt the environment. In fact, having a junk removal service dispose of your junk is probably the most responsible thing that you can do because they are going to make sure that everything is disposed of properly.
They may also take pieces of furniture and other salvageable items and have them fixed for use in nursing homes, hospitals, schools, homeless shelters, low income homes, and other uses that give them a second life. Even soil can get a second go around. If the soil is usable, then the junk removal company will donate it to greenhouses and nurseries because they can always use good soil. If you have any green waste, the junk removal will make sure it is placed within lakes and ponds because the aquatic life can thrive on it.
As for what can't be disposed of is common sense. Anything that is considered to be a hazardous material cannot be removed. This is for the safety of the junk removal service's workers and for the environment. There is also the fact that they may not have a license to remove hazardous waste. The best way to learn of how these materials can be disposed of is through your local waste management office or a recycling center.
Keep in mind
Keep in mind that there is a cost associated with junk removal and it will depend on what and how much you are disposing of. The service will most likely charge based on volume, which is how much space is consumed in the truck. Some heavier materials such as concrete and plaster may constitute a higher fee due to the fact that they are disposed of differently. That is why it is difficult for a junk removal service to give price quotes over the phone. Nevertheless, you'll find that junk removal is an affordable and environmentally friendly way to clear the clutter out of your life.
Garage shelving really isn't an option. It's more of a necessity really. If you have tried living without shelving in your garage you know what a cluttered mess it can get to be. Not only does it help keep items up off the floor and organized, it also helps you keep your sanity. That's why it is a must have. I don't understand everything about feng shui, but I do know that it is supposedly a good thing to try to create in your living spaces. If you can't feel at ease in a space, walk easily through it, or think straight while you are in it, then it isn't very feng shui, and that is a bad thing. So here are three ways that garage shelving can help you keep your mental space clear, as well as the floor.
- You need to recognize just what a special and sometimes fragile place your mental peace can really be. While our minds are robust and capable, they also have a great need for organization and cleanliness. Cleanliness is, after all, next to Godliness! Garage shelving is a practical way to help us be our very best.
- I once bought and listened to a self-improvement tape series by Joe Land entitled, The Ultimate Power. In one of the tapes he describes the self as consisting of two selves in one. On the one hand we all have a lower self. This is the part of us that just wants to throw our junk into piles, to be lazy, to neglect the things we really should be doing. This part of ourselves would not embrace garage shelving because it is just easier to be casual and haphazard in the way we manage our things. This part of us doesn't care what other people think, or how it feels to be frustrated when we can't find something because of our carelessness. This and all the other negative sides of our being belong to this lower self.
On the other hand, we also have a part of self that is the higher self. This part wants us to be disciplined, focused, happy, and committed. The higher self has no problem with things like garage shelving because it understands and accepts the value of organization and order. The higher self reigns in the lower self and helps us improve our lives in general. The two selves are constantly struggling with each other for dominance. When we make the effort to pick up the clutter, put the tools on a shelf and the sports equipment on racks, then we are positively reinforcing our higher self and it gets stronger. When we don't, then we are strengthening the lower self. It's a decision we make multiple times throughout each day.
- Garage shelving keeps peace in the wigwam and that is always a good thing to do if we want mental peace in our lives. If you are single, and live entirely alone then this may be okay (if you are content to live in your lower self). But, if you live with roommates or with family then doing what you can to engender good feelings is important. If you throw up some garage shelving and start to use it, you may just find that your spouse or friends respect you more because it shows that you care about their mental peace as well as your own. This is a higher self function.